The Mountain Democrat article only mentions the criminalist who testified yesterday. Not the pathologist that my brother wrote about. (What's up with that?) Anyway, Mr. John Yount, a criminalist from the Department of Justice, described how he performed tests to determine the distance from which Kacie was shot. He test fired shots from the shotgun used in the murder at varying distances at cardboard pieces, then compared the holes in the cardboard pieces to Barron's chest wound. Kacie was shot both in the chest and in the head. Mr. Yount determined that the shots were fired by her killer two to five feet from Kacie.
Officer Brody JordanDefense also testified again Wednesday and testified that his analysis of blood spatter at the murder scene led him to believe Barron was standing up when she was shot in the head. (That was the second shot. I guess we'll hear later what the significance of that finding is.)
Thats about all that the reporter from the paper wrote about, unless you count the reminders of what the case is all about, Kacie being shot and killed by Mario Lozano on July 26th, 2006. Plus the reminder that Mario took off after he shot Kacie and was captured/arrested about 2 weeks later near Mammoth Lakes CA.
It will be interesting to see what kind of defense that will be presented for Mario. Since Mr. Atwell hasn't made his opening statement yet, we don't know. We won't hear the defense opening until after the prosecution has completed their case in chief. We do know that Mario has admitted shooting her, but I suppose the question will be the "why he shot her".
Updated Who's Who
- Victim: Kathleen "Kacie" Barron
- Defendant: Mario H. Lozano
- Place: Placerville, El Dorado County, Superior Court Dept No. 2
- Judge: Honorable Eddie T. Keller
- Prosecution: Deputy District Attorney Dale R. Gomes
- Defense: Deputy Public Defender Michael N. Atwell
- Nick Selbman (Kacie Barron's son, now 22 years old. He was also the person who found Kacie's body on July 26th, 2006.)
- Mike Nuss (Longtime friend of Kacie Barron.)
- Mike Thompson (Longtime friend of Kacie Barron.)
- Gary Chapman (Friend of Mario Lozano, then friend of Kacie Barron.)
- Officer Brody Jordan (Placerville Police Department. Patrol officer and crime scene investigator.)
- Dr. Elizabeth Albers (Forensic Pathologist for the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office)
- John Yount ( Department of Justice Criminalist)
- Annie Walker (Kacie's Mother)
- Doug Walker (Kacie's Stepdad)
- Lee Barron (Kacie's Dad)
- Pat Barron (Kacie's brother)
- John (?) (Kacie's Stepbrother)
- Gene (Chaplainlimeygene, former boyfriend and friend of Kacie)
I am also a little bit curious about Mario's supporters (if any!). Are there any in the courtroom? I'll ask my brother this weekend.