At about 2pm, the jury came back into the courtroom and handed their verdicts over. Here's a list of the charges and what they found:
- Count 1 is sexual assault, from the October 2007 rape in the parking garage at the University of Nevada. GUILTY
- Count 2 is kidnapping - the woman taken from outside her apartment in December 2007. GUILTY
- Count 3 is the sexual assault against that woman which allegedly happened in Biela's truck. GUILTY
- Count 4 is murder of Brianna Denison. It's open murder, which means the jury decides if it's first degree, second degree, or manslaughter. GUILTY OF 1ST DEGREE MURDER
- Count 5 is sexual assault - against Brianna Denison. GUILTY
The court then took a short recess because one of the alternate jurors didn't make it back to the courthouse fast enough. Court reconvened about 2:30pm and they began the opening statements for the penalty phase. The prosecutors the jury to give him the death penalty and the defense wants the jury to give "Jimmy" life in prison without parole.
I'm not going to give a blow by blow description of what happened, I'll post links to the two websites I found the most information on during the trial at the end of this post. I'll be watching the live blog again tomorrow and hopefully watching a live stream video just to see what the defense is putting on. They had a forensic psychologist on the stand when they stopped tonight and I'm sure she'll be back again tomorrow. The defense will most likely be presenting witnesses most of the day tomorrow. We'll see if the defense takes the whole day. I'm not sure if the Reno/Nevada courts work on Saturdays, but I'm guessing they don't. So, we'll hear from the prosecution on Monday. The prosecutor said in his opening statement that one of the things they were going to do is play the song that Brianna's brother, Brighton wrote for her. I will have to make sure I've got the kleenex handy because I know I'm going to have tears when that plays.
Rest in Peace, Bri... Justice is yours. My heart goes out to her family and friends. I hope you all find peace...
The song written by Brighton Denison on MySpace: It's Not Time to Say Goodbye
Reno Gazette Journal coverage: http://www.rgj.com/article/20100527/NEWS01/100527004
KOLO8 coverage: http://www.kolotv.com/biela