Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

I have no plans to go and watch fireworks this year, so I thought I'd share a couple of fireworks photos that I took a while back when I watched the fireworks in Sacramento. Back when I lived in Sacramento, I lived right across the street from CalExpo, the California State Fairgrounds. Going to events at the fairgrounds was as easy as walking across the street. My old digital camera did a pretty good job catching the fireworks....

On the fire news front, the number of active fires has gone down considerably according to the CalFire website. Click here to view the pdf of the fire map from them this morning. The image below is the fire map from the US Forestry Remote Sensing Application website showing the active and non-active fire sites. (I've reduced the size of the image to upload it here, but the full size one is available at the link above.) There are still way too many active fires burning, including the new ones that have started in the last couple of days. At least the weather is holding though, mild temperatures, mild winds... I sure hope it holds for a while longer.
I found another website that has some excellent coverage of the fires here in the state this afternoon... It's a news site called Yubanet.com and it has an excellent summary of all the fires. Sadly, it's not just people who are in danger from all of these fires. Wildlife too is suffering. For instance, the endangered California Condors live in many of the burning or burnt areas. Only 151 wild condors exist worldwide, and 23 live in the Big Sur area where one of the bigger fires is burning.
The image below is one of the more spectacular shots I've seen of the bombers that the firefighters are using to help contain the fires....
Anyway, I wish a happy 4th of July to everyone.. Fly those flags proudly and please stop and give a few thoughts to the men and women out on the firelines.........

No comments: